Wednesday, 7 October 2009

First Private Lesson!

I had my first private bellydance lesson last night after work. I was very nervous even though I know my teacher, I was still anxious about dancing in front of her because she is such an amazing dancer and I have a great deal of respect for her.

We danced for the entire hour almost non-stop, and it was great! Being able to see her feet, knees, belly and arms so close up it really helped me understand where the movement comes from and what bits of the body and which muscles are used, I really felt after the hour that I had a better understanding of bellydance, and well, the mechanics of it all, I suppose.

We danced to a lot of new music as my teacher has recently returned from a holiday in Morocco with armfuls of CDs so that was also great! We also danced to a really fun Nancy Ajram song, Mashy Haddi (you can find it on You Tube!), it's not what I would call traditional bellydance music but it was a lot of fun as it is about a guy who thinks he's all that and that you would be lucky to be with him, but Nancy tells him the truth!

I had a lot of fun despite being nervous at the beginning, the private class was a lot more of an intense learning experience which I really like, although I will still go to the communal classes because it's great to dance with all the ladies, I love the great sense of sisterhood!

Anyway, I have a lot of practising to do as I have a private lesson next week as well, and as we all know 'practice makes perfect'....maybe!

No comments: