
I went to see Natacha Atlas last night at Union Chapel in North London with a friend - it was amazing! For those of your who aren't familiar with Natacha, she is a beautiful singer who sings in Arabic, French, English and last night in Spanish too! I believe the genre is called 'world music' - but that seems a bit of an odd label...
I was introduced to Natacha Atlas by my belly dance teacher as we do a dance to it during some of our lessons, that song is called Kidda - it's a great but sad song, so you get an opportunity to try and convey the sadness with the movement. I haven't quite mastered that yet, but those who have look pretty amazing!
Last night Natacha sang a number of songs from her newest album Ana Hina with her wonderful band - the tabla player was simply amazing, he did an awesome solo that had people in raptures! Natacha's voice is so special; so clear and pure that I think it would almost be impossible not to be mesmerised. I enjoy the softer, down tempo songs but I love the big upbeat (lots of tabla) songs that make you want to get up and shimmy, AND Natacha did! Towards the end of the show she got up and belly danced for a few minutes, she can move really, really well, I was so impressed.
She was also wearing a pretty cool outfit, and I want one because it was so fun! It was a shiny gold leopard print dress with a slit up the leg and amazing sleeves that hung down, and it was all trimmed in gold sparkle! What more can a girl want!?
It was a great night, and it was pretty packed out too, so lots of people feeling the love for Natacha!
No comments:
Post a Comment