Saturday, 19 December 2009

I'm back!

I have had the most awful couple of months- swine flu, normal cold and essay madness!! This has all resulted in me neglecting you all- I apologise.

So, I am now (almost) healthy and back dancing and I have to say, getting back into shape is going to take a while! Oh my days, I had a private lesson last Tuesday and the class today and I am suffering, but it is totally worth it, love the feeling of being fit and feeling like you can dance really well and you will try anything because you feel so good. I am therefore, holding on to this thought whilst undergoing the struggle back to fitness!

Today's lesson was good, less in the class than usual because of the Christmas period, but when there's less people you get a chance to check yourself out properly in the mirror, although sometimes I find this uncomfortable (does anyone else feel weird checking themselves out?), it is important if you want to improve!! We did more advanced dances which was a challenge for me, but I love seeing what is possible if you work hard enough. Two little ones came to the class with their auntie (who is a regular) today, I think they were 9-ish and 11-ish- they were amazing, totally working it and moving like they'd been belly dancing their entire (admittedly, very short) lives. I love it!

We practiced travelling today as well, I think many belly dancers I see don't seem to use the space they are given very well, and I love swishing and spinning around so this is totally up my street! We focused mainly on the grapevine with spins in a line going around the studio, following out amazing dancing queen of a teacher- I could do this all day! I really, really love leaning into the corners and really using the core to control your body, balance and the belly. You can really feel it working away! Yes, I am weird, and I like feeling the work-out burn.

I am looking forward to practicing over the Christmas period, if I can stop eating all the goodies long enough! I have one more private lesson on Tuesday before I head to my parents for Christmas....I will be keeping you up to date more regularly from now on, I promise!

No comments: